Remember the doughnuts I made last week from Joy the Baker? Yeah, this week I made her Apple Pie Biscuits for the Baking Bootcamp. It’s such a simple recipe to make, and when you post a picture of your beautiful creations on Instagram (with #bakingbootcamp), you’re entered to win a bunch of fun baking essentials. Cool, no? Be sure to check out the official rules (and the recipe) here.
Ready, set, bake!
This weekend is full of fantastic sales! I’ll probably check J. Crew and Madewell, since they’re some of my favorites. Besides these, Shopbop is offering $25 off any purchase of $100 or more when you download their app.
- J.Crew – 30% off final sale, 50% off select final sale with code EASYSALE. Ends 9/14
- Madewell – 30% off select Fall styles with code ADDTOBAG, ends today
- GAP – 25% off entire purchase with code HAPPY, ends today
- Old Navy – 20% off entire purchase with code SAVEMORE, ends today
- LOFT – 40% off all merchandise with code FALLSTYLE, ends 9/13
- Ann Taylor – 50% off full price dresses and skirts, 40% off sale items, buy one get one 50% off select camis and tanks
- Banana Republic – 40% off entire purchase with code BRYAY40, ends 9/13
- Bluefly – Shoes extra 10%-40% off, outerwear up to an extra 50% off, cashmere up to 40% off
- BCBG – extra 30% off factory outlet
Baked doughnuts: nothing feels more right. Yes, you could argue that fried doughnuts are better. Normally, I would agree, but I’d rather not have to buy a candy thermometer and stink up my house. Also, if I bake them, I can call them somewhat healthy… Ergo, I can eat more of them (or not feel incredibly guilty for eating one). Either way, it’s win. Out of curiosity, I calculated the calories per doughnut and came up with about 116 calories (without anything on top) when I made eight doughnuts. So it’s basically a like a piece of toast. With glaze. And caramel. Possibly some chocolate. Hazelnuts and coconuts are encouraged. These are all things that could totally go on toast. People just aren’t creative enough.
Since I’m just breaking in my new doughnut pan- hooray for Amazon Prime and two day shipping!- I decided not to play around with the recipe. I headed to Joy the Baker, my favorite place for baking inspiration and advice, for the recipe. I used her Brown Butter Baked Doughnuts recipe. There were some minor alterations such as brown sugar and a half teaspoon of cinnamon, but otherwise head over to Joy’s blog for the recipe.
Tune in for more doughnut recipes, because I’m officially obsessed.
Brown Butter & Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts
See Joy’s recipe, but substitute 1/3 cup brown sugar for the granulated sugar and add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons half & half
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract OR coconut extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
Notes: Whisk in 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder for a chocolate glaze.
Add the half & half, maple syrup, extract, and cream cheese in a bowl and whisk. Slowly add in the powdered sugar until fully combined and smooth.
- Chopped hazelnuts
- Chocolate chips
- Melted chocolate
- Unsweetened coconut
- Sea salt